Unwanted Pregnancy after Unprotected Sex
10 Practical Tips by Sexologist
If unprotected sex is done on SAFE DAYS days when sex is safe These days of menstrual cycle sex without protection does not cause pregnancy. Click to find safe days of sex there is no need to take i pill.
Be with the Best: Sexologist Dr. Ashok Koparday डॅाक्टर अशोक कोपर्डे Click here to MEET DOCTOR
Date last updated: September 28, 2016
What is the smart thing to do after getting laid in order not to get pregnant?
Emergency Contraceptive Pill
CLICK ON ANY TOPIC BELOW
1. How to take Emergency Contraceptive Pill?
2. When should I take EC pill?
3. When EC pill? is not to be taken?
4. Brand names of emergency contraceptive pills in India and abroad
5. Other names of Emergency Contraceptive Pills
6. What EC pill is not?
7. What are the side effects of EC pill?
8. If I do not want EC pill what substitutes can I chose from?
9. How does EC pill act?
10. Take home message by Sexologist
Post coital pill, Morning after pill, i Pill, Unwanted, Pill 72,
i-pill© (Cipla © India),EC care© (DKT, India), Unwanted© (Mankind Pharma),T Pill 72©, Preventol© (H.L.L.),Truston© (Rajkot)
1. What to do immediately after sex to prevent pregnancy?
single dose 1.5 milligrams (mg) Levonorgestrel – asap
EMERGENCY CONTRACEPTIVE PILL (i Pill©) IS A SINGLE TABLET TO BE TAKEN IMMEDIATELY AFTER SEX
2. When is Emergency Contraception used?
After sex to avoid pregnancy
Emergency Contraception is to be used when pregnancy is not wanted, but due to unprotected sex pregnancy is possible.
Pregnancy is possible when:
95% taken within 24 hours
85% after 24 hrs to 48 hours
58% after 48 hrs to 72 hours
99% or more with IUCD
- birth control methods to prevent pregnancy, like condom, have not been used or
- there is
rupture of condom (failure of contraceptive method used) or
- forced sex or
- sex during irregular periods,
- sex during breast feeding.
The above are the times when Emergency Contraceptive Pill is useful.
Formerly, TWO DOSES of Levonorgestrel 750μg were given. First dose of Levonorgestrel 750μg within 72 hours of unprotected sex followed by Levonorgestrel 750μg after 12 hours.
Pill 72 (Made by Cipla, India) was popular in the past.
1.5mg was split in two doses of 750μg + 750 μg
Now, instead of two doses as was formerly given, now 750μg + 750 μg = 1.5 mg Levonorgestrel SINGLE DOSE is preferred. EC pill successfully prevents pregnancy when used within 72 hours of unprotected sexual intercourse.
3. When is Emergency Contraception NOT TO BE USED?
Why Emergency Contraceptive Pill is ONLY for emergency and not routine/regular use?
The drug controller of India approved EC pill only in 2001.
EC pill was approved to be dispensed without prescription since August 31, 2005.
Needless to say, Emergency Contraception is not to be used as a routine following every sexual intercourse as replacement or substitute for birth control methods, like condom, oral contraceptive OC pills, Intra Uterine Contraceptive Device. IUD. can be used within 5 days, that is 120 hours. It has failure rate of less than 1%.
 “ECs should not be substitutes for the Pill because they do throw your menstrual cycle off gear and will obviously affect your fertility,” says sexologist Dr Mahinder Watsa.
4. EC pill Levonorgestrel brands in India and abroad
i-pill© (Cipla © India) Rs50 – 75,
EC care© (DKT, India)
Unwanted© (Mankind Pharma) Rs377
T Pill 72© Rs68.50
Plan B© ;
ONLY FOR APPOINTMENT with
Consultant in Sexual Medicine
Call at 8 pm ONLY
Mobile: +91 9867788877
Note: Prior Appointment is Essential
License: CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 Attribution as given here:
By Ashok Koparday with a link to http://mydoctortells.com/
5. What are the other names of Emergency Contraception?
Names of EC pill
- Post Coital Pill,
- Morning After Pill,
- Emergency Hormone Contraception
6. What Emergency Contraceptive Pill is not to be misunderstood with?
What EC pill is not?
EC pill is NOT to be taken regularly or routinely after sexual intercourse to prevent pregnancy.
WHY? [click here]
EC pill is not abortion pill.
That is, EC pill does not remove pregnancy and cause abortion. That means,
EC pill do not cause MTP (Medical Termination of Pregnancy).
EC pill PREVENTS PREGNANCY after (unprotected sex).
EC pill is not Oral Contraceptive Pills or Birth Control Pills, which prevent pregnancy when taken before sexual intercourse in a definite regular manner.
EC pill is not substitute to preventive methods such as use of condom or OC pills.
7. Sideeffects of Emergency Contraceptive Pill
Risks of EC pill
The morning after pill, EC pill, contains Levonorgestrel.
Adverse Effects of Levonorgestrel
Common Side Effects:
- Menstrual irregularities;
- breast discomfort
Uncommon Side Effects:
- skin disorders,
- disturbance of appetite,
- weight changes,
- fluid retention,
- changes in libido,
- cholestatic jaundice,
- hair loss or
- Benign intracranial hypertension,
- thrombocytopenic purpura.
8. What are methods other than EC pill to avoid pregnancy after sexual intercourse?
Substitutes for EC pill
Dr. (Mr.) Ashok Koparday
M.B.B.S., F.C.S.E.P. (International)
Accreditation: M.M.C. of India
Ex. Teaching Faculty
Seth G. S. Medical College
King Edward Memorial
K. E. M. Hospital
Grant Medical College
Sir J. J. Group of Hospitals,
University of Mumbai
Member: Indian Medical Association
Fellow: Council of Sex Education & Parenthood (International)
Sexual Health Best World Class Premier Treatment Center
1. Using usual OC pills.
Usual Oral Contraceptive Pills, taken 4 at a time, followed by another 4 after 12 hours, example 4 Ovral © Pills repeated after 12 hours does the same function as Emergency Contraceptive Pills (Yuzpe regimen).
2.  Intrauterine Copper device (Failure rate is less than 1%)
copper releasing IUDs such as CuT 380A
3. Use of Mifepristone, which is not a Progestin
i-pill helpline: 1-800-22-9898 (toll-free) or 022-3200 0055
Cipla has set up helpline numbers to answer questions about emergency contraception to promote its product i-pill.
10 JAN 2011 Nargis Namazi in Business Today
Last week, the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) sent a notice to Piramal Healthcare to stop airing the advertisement of its emergency contraceptive drug ‘i-pill’ disguised as an awareness campaign, a health official said.
TAGS: cipla, contraceptive pills, emergency contraceptive pills, i-Pill©, i-Pill ad, Piramal Healthcare, The Drug Controller General of India
Doctor’s prescription is not required for EC it being legally and medically approved.
9. How does emergency contraceptive pill work?
Mechanism of action of EC pill
1. EC pill prevents the implantation of the egg in the uterus and avoids the beginning of pregnancy.
2. EC pill works by means of ( depending upon where you may be in your menstrual cycle.)
- It may stop an egg being released from the ovary.
- If an egg has been released, EC Pill may prevent the sperm from fertilizing it.
- If the egg is already fertilized, it may prevent it from attaching itself to the lining of the womb.
10. Take home message
Summary: EC pill
Remember A B C.
A=Abstinence (Don’t fuck, Learn to say ‘No’)
B=Be faithful (Don’t have multiple partners)
As a choice do not use i Pill©.
As a desperate measure do use i Pill©.
Husband didn’t use condom
Kavita couldn’t resist. In those special moments of frenzy when lust overrules caution you later realize, “Oh my god! I don’t want a second child so soon”. Emergency contraceptive (EC pill ) is the correct thing to use.
Monica in a pub
Monica a pretty executive dressed in skimpy short attire dropped credit card in her purse and marinated in perfume left for the pub for unrestricted fun. On her way she purchased i Pill (but not condom – either usual male condom or the female condom). After few drinks and she went with her boy friends and got fucked by each one. This is the time when i Pill© EC pill ought to be taken.
Date published: May 29, 2009
Date created: 2008
A. EC pill
B. Emergency pill safe only if used as directed
Sanchita Sharma, Hindustan Times | Updated: Dec 10, 2011 22:33 IST
C. IUCD http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs244/en/