This is Nobel Prize material. Those who are going to get married, don’t miss it. ASK DOCTOR if in doubt.
From the time the matrimonial alliance between a boy and a girl is approved and formal consent is given by the parents for marriage HIGH RISK OF MAJOR MEDICAL PROBLEM begins. The four parties who are at HIGH RISK are as below.
 The parents of the boy
 The parents of the girl.
 The boy and
 The girl.
The boy  and the girl  are at high risk of developing health problem that necessitates medical intervention. Any existing health problem exacerbates. However, their parents  and  are in for major health problems that could need hospitalization.
WHEN DOES THE HEALTH RISK BEGIN?
The health risk begins from the day both the families give formal consent to the marriage.
WHAT HEALTH PROBLEM IS LIKELY TO HAPPEN?
Either of the parents of the boy, and  either of the parents of the girl have HIGH RISK of landing up in Intensive care unit ICU. They run the risk of cardio-vascular (heart attack) or cerebro-vascular accident. What ever health problem ensues often requires INTENSIVE CRITICAL CARE management (ICCU) or hospitalization. The health problem can be FATAL.
 The boy and  the girl do not run the risk of medical emergency of such severity as described above nor is hospitalization called for. Nonetheless they are at a high risk for developing some health problem that requires medical attention, sometimes during the wedding ritual itself.
WHICH ETHNIC GROUP ARE MORE PREDISPOSED?
Asian Indians, the brown.
HOW DO THE INDIANS CELEBRATE MARRIAGE?
The pomp of the wedding ceremony is geared to match or outdo that of some one else as a matter of family prestige, a signature of status in society. The wedding rituals extend over a few days. The traditional customs of wedding require great deal of planning. Both the parties, the family members of the would be groom and the bride, labor under mental, physical, monetary pressures.
WHAT SHOULD BE THE LINE OF MANAGEMENT?
First is to know that preparation for marriage entails HIGH MEDICAL RISK.
The youngsters who are going to get married have to dare to steer away from the encumbering, exhausting socio-cultutral wedding customs, which unfortunately are followed blindly, uneconomically, imprudently.
Regular medical supervision of parents who are already on medications for Diabetes mellitus and/or High Blood Pressure.
YOU TOO CAN DIAGNOSE MARRIAGE SYNDROME
Symptoms are as follows.
- Sleep disturbance
- Feeling exhausted
- Building up of tension
- Increased frequency of visit to Doctor
- The dosage of anti hypertensives or anti diabetic medicine will have to be changed.
- Tranquilizers may be required.
- Premarital Counseling is indispensable. This medical aspect ought to be part of Premarital Counseling.
- There have to be more than one active member to plan out and do execute the task of arrangements even though the wedding date is after 6 months. If tired, the father should be able to tell his cousin, “Today you manage this. I am done. I need rest”. Or, the cousin should assert, “Today you look tired. I will do these arrangements. Leave it to me. Now shut up and rest.”
- Change in attitude to life. Family members have to consciously avoid bickering. Decide not to give over importance to trivial things, not to feel insulted or displeased or disappointed.
WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?
Mammoth stress builds up. Accustomed to wear mask of, ‘All is well’, this inner stress is noticed only by close relatives who are alert. The Psycho dynamic mechanisms are interesting and elaborate. They can be provided to those who are keen to know.
IS THIS SCIENTIFICALLY PROVED?
The hypothesis, which this topic covers is not scientifically validated by taking a large number of couples for research study.
WILL YOU SPONSOR FOR RESEARCH STUDY ON “PREPARING TO MARRIAGE IS HIGH MEDICAL RISK”?
Original Article – Copyright Dr. Ashok Koparday©